I live in Norfolk County Ontario and am very lucky to have an asparagus farm down the street. Even if you do not live in a farming area like I do you can still enjoy a bit of the country life with a rustic Lemon Asparagus Salad with Crispy Ham and Croissant Croutons.
You can print the recipe at the bottom of the post.
Lemon Asparagus Salad with Crispy Ham and Croissant Croutons
15 Blanched Asparagus spears
5 Small slices of Shaved Ham (can sub bacon or prosciutto)
1 can Prepared Croissant Dough (Pillsbury or other name brand)
1T Lemon Juice
3T Olive Oil
1t Rosemary (or any other favorite savory herb)
1t Garlic Salt
Salt & Pepper to taste
*Note: To blanch asparagus spears, drop into boiling water, salted water for 1 minute and then immediately plunge into ice water to chill and preserve bright green color.
Preheat Oven to 375
- Roll out prepared croissant dough and brush with melted butter. Sprinkle garlic salt and rosemary over the dough surface. Bake according to directions on container or until dough is golden brown.
- First trim woody ends off cooled asparagus and discard ends. Continue slicing diagonally in ¾” slices right to the leafy end.
- Bake shaved ham 5 minutes or until crispy. Be careful not to burn! Let cool and then crumble
- Break croissant dough along perforated edges into sections. Cut two sections into bite sized croutons.
- Whisk oil and lemon juice together and season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour onto asparagus and dress thoroughly.
- Transfer onto serving dish, garnish with crispy ham and croutons. Serve with additional diagonal croissant pieces on the side.